Blog post one:

For my mid term video I had sticky notes on the piano keys in order to remember which notes were which. I have now learned that middle C is always the left of the two black keys so I am able to play without the sticky notes. Looking back on my videos I realized I wasn’t playing with only the right hand as I was supposed to. Instead I was using both hands which made it easier at the time but now when I am trying to play a more advanced song I am having troubles reaching all the keys using one hand. I have had the realization that I may have not chosen the best instrument for my abilities. I am a person who types using two fingers. I am finding it challenging to stretch my fingers to the distances needed for the piece especially because I have broken one of my fingers when I was younger. Nonetheless I am having fun learning and trying my best. Right now I am learning to play Fur Elise a lovely piece composed by Beethoven. I decided to learn more about the song so I did some research. I learned Fur Elise is written in A minor. I had no idea what A minor meant so I did some more research where I learned about the 12 major scales. Major scales follow the pattern: tone, tone, semi-tone, tone, tone, tone, semi-tone. Every major scale has a relative minor scale. For the song I am learning the major scale is the C scale which is relative to the A minor scale. Fur Elise was composed in 1810. It was published by Ludwig Nohl 40 years later. Therefore the song was published after Beethoven died. Most sources believe Beethoven wrote Fur Elise for Therese a women he wished to marry others believe he named it after Elisabeth Rockel a friend of his.