Today our guest speaker was Jesse Miller from Mediated Reality. Millers talk was very engaging and interesting I learned a lot. He focused on the new generation of education and technology including social media. Miller discussed the culture surrounding technology. Teachers in todays area need to be more engaging to stop students from checking their phones. Miller used a great example of how children don’t pick up there phone and start texting while playing a sport and teachers need to help create that same mentality at school (unless it is being used as a ressource). Technology is growing in our lives and his job is to inform people on how to better use our devices. He explains the importance of consent, privacy and security. He also encouraged us to use devices in the classroom safely. A couple fun facts we learned were that wifi servers can see everything you are doing on your device. I also learned that the advertisements that come up on social media have to do with what websites are being searched on your server. As a future teacher I learned how much my online identity matters. Due to the generation I grew up in most of my life is on the internet. Teachers must not share student information and images without consent. Teachers also need to make sure they are not posting images online that may lead a parent to believe they shouldn’t be teaching their child. An example pictures with drugs and alcohol. This may seem like common sense but sometimes common sense isn’t so common and it is important we are learning inappropriate vs appropriate content. As soon as he gave his presentation I went on my Instagram and made it private and luckily I had no photos I had to delete but I checked just in case. Teachers need to understand the consequences of posting inappropriate content as there have been many instances where teachers were fired due to social media. Miller had us look up #teacherlife #teacherproblems and #teacherfiered the results were inappropriate photos posted by teachers that lead to sever consequences. I now have a greater awareness in regards to what constitutes as personal information and public information. I also learned we need to be asking for consent more then we do when posting photos. I will be sure to post responsibly and use technology in a safe way.
Check out this Ted Talk by Jesse Millar about sharing in the digital world.